Facebook Link

Follow KidsYogaDaily on Facebook

Monday, September 14, 2015

Grooming gurus! Midwestern yoga studio launches first teen teacher training program

Courtesy Anna Limauro
The itch to teach yoga has hit the tween set.

This January, twelve year-old Anna Limauro, of Carmel, Indiana will take part in a teen-specific, yoga teacher training program, through Blooming Life Yoga Studio, of Zionsville, Indiana.
“I want to teach others, especially girls around my age, to have more confidence about body issues and self-esteem,” says Limauro, who tried her first yoga class as a fifth-grader.
“I couldn’t find a sport that clicked with me and enjoyed yoga. It helped me to...
get a good workout and with being peaceful,” says the tween.

Limauro also enjoyed the benefits of meditation.

“Without it, I think I’d be more crabby. I’m more aware now of what I’m saying to other people and I'm careful not to gossip or judge others, too,” she says.
Eager to learn more about yoga’s history as well, in exchange for mentoring around the studio two to three days each week, Limauro will receive a scholarship to participate in the upcoming 200-hour, Yoga Alliance Certified training, called, “Torchbearer of Tradition,” which will take place bi-monthly on weekends, over the course of five months, according to lead teacher and studio owner, Lily Kessler. So far, four students have signed on to the program, which maxes out at thirty students.
“Students will be highly mentored, we’ll have group bonding activities and a teen psychologist on hand to help orchestrate conversations that make them feel safe to be vulnerable,” says Kessler, who, was previously a public school teacher for over a decade, teaching fourth grade and writing curriculum.
“I’ve dedicated my life to teaching. I taught kids yoga and saw a huge difference in their comfort level with themselves. I have seen kids that are not given an opportunity to shine. When they are not given more responsibility, they shut down. Many teen yogis who have stepped forth are strong, warm-hearted and clear-thinking human beings who are ready for a challenge. They’re ready to be leaders and to help propel a community consciousness forward,” says Kessler.
TheTorchbearer curriculum covers the history of yoga, a familiarity with Seminole yoga texts, thirteen hours of anatomy, in-depth study of asana, and mind-breath-body energetics, according to Blooming Life's website.
“We will break it down to how it applies to the students and how they find their authenticity,” says Kessler. In the Hatha Yoga Flow style, “Students will learn how to build their own yoga class and leave having memorized a particular class that they find their teaching voice in. We want to them to develop their own unique style."
Courtesy Anna Limauro
Limauro is excited to develop her own teaching approach.
“I’ll play music in my classes. Slow songs, but also some fun pop or hip hop. I might use props and love essential oils,” she says.
As for the intense amount of time she’ll need to commit to the training, Limauro says, “It’s something I enjoy so much, I won’t mind. I want to start as soon as possible.”

TORCHBEARER of TRADITION
200-hour Teen Teacher Training (Ages 12-16)
January 8 – May 22, 2016
Cost: $3200.00
For more information visit: www.bloominglifeyoga.com

 

No comments: